Dhal (some call it dal, dahl or daal) is one of my go to recipes when I need something warm, delicious and easy to make. It takes only 30 minutes to make this red lentil dhal and usually when I have no veggies left in my fridge red lentil dhal comes to the rescue. It is made from three basic veggies, red lentils, onion and garlic. The rest is what spices you have on hands and what you are using as a garnish.
It’s a comforting mix between Indian dhal and an African peanut stew . I am recently, a big fan of adding peanut butter on savory dishes and I love adding peanut butter on curries and dhals.
This recipe takes 5 minutes to prep and 25 to cook.
You can make it on the stovetop, slow cooker or Instant Pot.
It is a one pot recipe, so easy and quick.
It freezes well and you can keep this in the fridge for about 4-5 days.
It’s a great idea for meal prep, combined with rice and crushed nuts on top for extra proteins and healthy fats.
You can also add other veggies if you want. It is delicious if you add spinach, sweet potato, carrots or cauliflower. You can add tofu nuggets or smoked tofu and it is such a great idea if you are meal prepping.
To garnish I used parsley, dried chili flakes, peanuts and spring onions. You can use vegan cream, coriander or other nuts like cashews.
When I am making dhal or curry, I usually add something sweet. In this dhal I am using two pitted dates. They are sweet and when cooked they release a caramel flavor that goes pretty well with the peanut taste of the dhal and the spices. I would highly recommend using sweet potato in this red lentil dhal.
How to make red lentil dhal with peanut butter?
First of all be sure to combine all the spices in a small bowl so when the oil is heated they wont burn because you want some time to find spices in your pantry. This was my biggest mistake when I use to make dhal long ago but I have learned the hard way from that (burnt spices). After you have combined your spices in a bowl, put a pot over medium heat and add the oil. When the oil has started heating, add the diced onion and let it cook for about 2 minutes until translucent. Then add the spices and let it cook for about 30 seconds.
After the spices have released their delicious aroma, add the minced garlic, ginger and fresh chili. Cook them for another minute. Then add the washed lentils and give them a stir to combine with spices. Add the water, peanut butter and dates and let it cook for about 25 minutes until the lentils have softened and have become creamy.
When the lentils are cooked, add the lemon juice and garnish with sliced onions and parsley. They are a must but you can also add toppings you prefer.
30 Minute Red Lentil Dhal with peanut butter is a delightful, quick, one pot recipe that you can make for dinner after a long day or in weekend to store it in containers for meal prep. It is a versatile recipe that you can add other veggies and nuts. It is usually combined with rice or naan witch are also great for meal prep. It takes only three main ingredients: red lentils, onion and garlic and a combination of spices you have on hands to make this recipe delicious. Hope you love this dhal, like I do!
Serves : 4
- 1+ 1/2 red lentils, uncooked
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil or coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 small chili pepper, diced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, minced or grated
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 3 cloves
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 4 cups of water
- 2 pitted dates
- salt and pepper
- juice of half of a lemon
- Give the lentils a rinse before cooking and drain them in a fine mesh sieve.
- Combine all the spices in a small bowl, put that aside.
- Put a pot over medium heat and add the oil and sliced onion. After 2 minutes, when the onion is softened, add the spices and give everything a stir. Let it cook for about 30 seconds.
- Then add the garlic, ginger and fresh chili. Cook them for another minute.
- Then add the washed lentils and give them a stir to combine with spices. Add the water, peanut butter and dates and let it cook for about 25 minutes until the lentils have softened and have become creamy.
- When the lentils are cooked, add the lemon juice and garnish with sliced onions and parsley. They are a must but you can also add toppings you prefer. Enjoy!
- You can also add other vegetables like sweet potatoes, pumpkin, spinach, kale or cauliflower.
- You can also add other spices like ground coriander, smoked paprika or curry leaves. If you don’t have some of the spices don’t worry, try to substitute them with other that usually are used in curries.
- You can add lime juice instead of lemon, it will be even more delicious!