This green pea stew is one of the recipes that my family has cooked since I can remember. When I smell the pea stew aroma while it’s cooking, it feels like home to me. This recipe is easy and if you’re tired from a long day, just throw these six ingredients in a pot and make yourself a delicious healthy warm bowl.
From what I’ve seen this recipe is a Mediterranean one. Usually, other cuisines add green peas in their stews, dishes, or pasta but it is not the main ingredient. Here in Albania, green pea stew is one of the dishes that everyone loves and knows how to cook. Traditionally in Albania, this is not a vegan recipe in most cases but my family has been cooking this as a vegan recipe for me for some time now.
Using green peas as the main ingredient in a stew is amazing. They are nutritious and contain a fair amount of fiber and antioxidants. Green peas, or “garden peas,” have a calorie content that is fairly low, with only 62 calories per 1/2-cup (170-gram) serving. 70% of those calories come from carbs and the rest are provided by protein and a small amount of fat. Furthermore, green peas contain just about every vitamin and mineral you need, in addition to a significant amount of fiber.
The reason that green peas are so amazing for maintaining a healthy and balanced diet is that they are high in protein content. You can find green peas in frozen, fresh, or canned varieties. In this recipe, I used frozen green peas that I bought at the farmer’s market.
This stew has an amazing taste and smells delicious when you are cooking it. The combination of green peas with carrots and yet the combination of carrots with dill makes everything taste so good. To start I just sauté the onions with olive oil, then add the green peas so they combine with the sweetness of the onions. After a few minutes, I add the remaining ingredients and that is all. So easy and delicious!
I tried making this stew in a pressure cooker and it takes about 30 minutes. In case you don’t have one don’t worry because cooking it slowly makes it even better. You can use a small pot and in medium to low heat let it cook for about 45 to 50 minutes depending on how al dente you want your green peas.
I usually serve this with a dollop of soy yogurt and more fresh dill. And we like to eat this with freshly baked rye bread for dipping in the sauce. You can eat this as you prefer.
Hearty Green Pea Stew, this amazing dish has all the earthy flavors from the green peas and the sweetness from carrots and onions, the acidic taste of fresh tomato, and the rich smell from fresh dill and pepper. If you try this recipe let us know on our social media, I’d love to know your thoughts and opinions!
Green Pea Stew with Carrots and Dill [vegan]
- 700-gram peas (frozen or fresh), I used frozen
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 medium ripe tomatoes, blended in a blender or a handheld blender
- 2 medium yellow onion, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh dill
- 2 tbs olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup Water
- In a small pot heat, the olive oil in medium to low heat then add the onions. Add some salt and give it a stir once in a while.
- After 2-3 minutes when the onions are translucent, add the green peas (frozen or fresh) and give it another stir so everything is mixed. Let it cook for about 4 minutes.
- Then add the carrots, pepper, and dill and give it a stir.
- After 2 minutes, add the tomato puree and water and let it cook with the lid on, for about 45-50 minutes checking it once in a while so it has enough water. If you want this more like a soup consistency you can add more water.
- When it is cooked check for the right amount of saltiness and if you like add more.
- I tried making this in a pressure cooker and it takes about 30 minutes to cook.
- You can use fresh or frozen green peas, the result is the same.