This Mediterranean Eggplant Stew is THE healthy dish in every Albanian family. Here we have a certain way of making this recipe so I am sharing our version.
It is rich in vegetables and it can also keep you full during the day. This is perfect for meal prep or to take it with you to work or school.
Funny story, when I and my sister were little, she used to pretend she was asleep when my mom called us to eat this eggplant stew. Now that she lives abroad one of the recipes she misses more is this stew.
This Mediterranean Eggplant Stew is flavorful and plant based.
It is so easy to make this stew. It takes only 30 minutes and 7 main ingredients (not including salt, pepper, and water) to make it.
It is best combined with rye bread or as is. You can top it with fresh parsley and green chili.
This is the winter version of the Mediterranean Eggplant Stew. During summer instead of potatoes, we like to add okra. I love both versions so much.
More recipes you might like:
This 7 Ingredient Mediterranean Eggplant Stew [vegan] is made healthy and nutritious. The combination of potatoes, red bell pepper, and eggplants makes this stew the best if you love Mediterranean food. It takes only one pot and 30 minutes to make.
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 3 medium eggplants, cut into bite-size chunks
- 3 medium potatoes (about 500 gr), cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 red bell pepper, cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 x 400 gr (14 oz) can of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1+ 1/2 cup water
- Place a pot over medium heat and add the olive oil and onion. Let it cook for 3-4 minutes until the onion is soft. Then add salt, pepper, potatoes, and eggplants. Let them cook for 3 more minutes.
- Add red bell peppers and chopped tomatoes. Let it cook for 5 minutes before adding water and fresh parsley.
- Let the stew cook for 20 minutes. Remove from heat when the potatoes are soft.
- You can sub red bell pepper for green peppers or any kind of peppers you have on your hands.