Apple and Berry Crumble is my recent addiction. It is a healthy treat I love to make almost every week. I wasn’t a big fan of using rolled oats in recipes until I tried this crumble.
The crunchy crumble on top of the juicy apples is what you will eat all winter.
This Apple, Quince, and Berry Crumble is such a healthy idea if you have a sweet tooth as we do.
This Apple, Quince, and Berry Crumble has two layers.
The first layer, the juicy one, is made of chopped apples, quince, berries, and cinnamon.
The second layer is made of rolled oats, oat flour, brown sugar, vegan butter, or coconut oil.
What you should know about this recipe?
- This recipe can be made using only apples if you do not quince. Substitute 1 quince for 1 apple. You can use any apple you like but preferably sweet ones. If they are ripe, that is even better.
- You can use wheat flour instead of oat flour. We wanted to make it gluten-free but you can use any flour you like. We have tried oat flour, almond meal, and all purpose flour. They are all great!
- You can use any berries of your choice. We used blueberries and blackberries.
- You can either peel the apples or not. We love adding fibers to our diet so we let them on.
ps: If you choose to peel them, try making your own apple cider vinegar with apple skins. It’s the best!
This Apple, Quince, and Berry Crumble [gluten-free] is best served with yogurt, ice-cream or custard.
We like to combine it with homemade banana ice-cream. To make the banana ice cream just blend 2 frozen bananas cut into chunks with 4 tbsp of yogurt and a dash of cinnamon.
More healthy dessert recipes you might like:
This Apple, Quince, and Berry Crumble is such a healthy idea if you have a sweet tooth as we do. The crunchy crumble on top of the juicy apples is the perfect fruit bowl you can eat for breakfast or as a dessert.
Cooking time: 25-30 minutes
For the apple layer:
- 2 apples, cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 quince, cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 cup mixed frozen Berries
- 2 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
For the crumble layer:
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 4 tbsp vegan butter (or margarine or coconut oil), melted
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 200°C / 390°F.
- Combine apples, quince, berries, honey, and cinnamon in a big bowl and mix so everything is well coated.
- In another bowl combine rolled oats, oat flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Add the melted butter and using your hands mix well until it becomes crumbly.
- Transfer the apple mix to a baking dish. Sprinkle the crumb all over the apple layer. Place the baking dish in the oven and bake for about 30 minutes until the crumble becomes golden brown.
- Enjoy it with banana ice-cream, custard, or yogurt.