Butternut Squash Lentil Dhal is the most warming bowl you can have on a cold day. The combination of sweet butternut squash and creamy red lentils is so good you will love this recipe. We have been making this butternut squash lentil dhal almost every week now.
This Creamy Butternut Squash Lentil Dhal [vegan] is packed with nutrients and delicious flavors.
Why you have to try this Creamy Butternut Squash Lentil Dhal [vegan]?
- it is rich in proteins and fibers
- it is packed with herbs and spices
- it is creamy and delicious
- it is super easy to make
- it is a one-pot recipe
- it is versatile, you can add more spices or vegetables you have on hands
- it is warm and comforting
- it is plant-based
Red lentils are a great source of non-heme iron (iron that comes from plant sources). Lentils are made up of over 25% protein. They are also rich in fibers
Butternut Squash ( also known as winter squash) is a great source of Vitamin C., calcium, iron, phosphorus, and copper. Fun fact: Butternut Squash is actually a fruit!
The combination of fruits and vegetables in this recipe is quite healthy. To increase the absorption of non-heme iron it s recommended to combine it with other fruits or vegetables that are rich in Vitamin C. It stores non-heme iron in a form that’s more easily absorbed by your body (1*)
If you like curries and stews :
This hearty Creamy Butternut Squash Lentil Dhal [vegan] is the perfect warm bowl you can cook for your family. It is packed with a delicious aroma and rich in nutrients. It is super easy to make and it takes only one pot.
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 2/3 cup dried red lentils, rinsed
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- a thumb-size piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 x 400 gr (14 oz) can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400 gr (14 oz) can of full-fat coconut milk
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil (coconut, olive, corn, sunflower, etc)
- 2 cups of fresh spinach
- juice of 1/2 of a lemon
- salt and pepper
- 3 cups of water
- 4 curry leaves
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- Place a pot over medium heat and add the oil. When the oil is heated, add all the spices. Let them cook in the oil for 30 seconds before adding the onion, garlic, and ginger. Let them cook in spices for about 3-4 minutes.
- Then add the butternut squash, red lentils, chopped tomatoes from the can, salt, and pepper. Add 3 cups of water and let them cook for 15 minutes.
- Then add the coconut milk and fresh spinach and let them cook for another 10 minutes until creamy.
- Before serving add the lemon juice to the dhal and serve it with fresh parsley.