I am a big fan of chocolate, peanuts, and banana combined together. So I thought why not have my favorite combo in a healthy way? One of the things me and my mum love to eat or take with us when we are traveling or to give as a gift is granola. You can practically eat cookies in a healthier way. Skip the store-bought granola or cornflakes with artificial sweeteners and preservatives. Make your own and it only takes 1 hour a week to make yourself a week with flavorful granola. You can experiment with the things you like most.
Most people including my mother eat granola for breakfast or as a healthy meal to take to work and combine it with milk and fruits. I like to eat granola as a snack. So eating Crunchy Chunky Monkey granola is like a heaven of snacks for me.
The thing I love when making granola is that you can experiment with flavors and adjust them in the way you like. It’s like making small flavorful inventions in your kitchen and eating them during the week.
This granola is like eating snickers. Snickers granola sweetened with banana and brown sugar as the caramel layer, rich in chocolate chunks as the chocolate that covers the Snickers bar, roasted peanuts, and oats as the nougat layer. I also added some coconut chips because chocolate and coconut, why not?
The texture of this granola is super crunchy and cookie like.
Granola is the best when you meal prep. You just store it in a jar and take it with you, eat it with plant milk, or top your favorite smoothies. My mum makes a big batch of granola and keeps it in a big jar on her desk and when she’s hungry she snacks on it.
If you try this recipe, let us know! You can leave a comment on our Instagram page or tag us in your pictures on Instagram or the Facebook page of bimorah. We would also love to see pictures of your Crunchy Chunky Monkey Granola.
Crunchy Chunky Monkey granola made with simple and delicious ingredients. This is an indulging and flavorsome breakfast when in a hurry.
Makes about 600-700 grams
- 4 cups of rolled oats
- 1/2 cup raw peanuts (not roasted)
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 medium ripe banana, mashed
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil (I used corn oil)
- Pinch of salt
- Sprinkle of vanilla
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips ( or chocolate chunks or chocolate shavings)
- 1/3 dried coconut flakes
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Combine rolled oats, peanuts, sunflower seeds, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt in a big bowl and give everything a stir so they are combined.
- In a small bowl combine the mashed banana with brown sugar until they become creamy and they are well combined. Then add the vegetable oil and give it another stir.
- Add the liquids in the big bowl with dried ingredients and stir until all pieces are evenly coated. Transfer the mixture to a greased or lined baking tray.
- Let it bake for about 30-40 minutes giving it a stir occasionally.
- Remove from heat and let it cool for about 10 minutes. Then toss the chocolate chunks and coconut chips.
- Let the granola and chocolate cool completely on the tray before storing it in a jar. Enjoy!
- The secret of good granola is the low temperature of baking it. Don’t bake granola at the same temperature you usually bake, but lower.
- You can use any other sweetener, I tried making it with liquid sweetener and it turned out great but you have to leave it for an extra 5 minutes in the oven.
- You can sub the seeds and use whatever nut/seed you like.
- Don’t stir it very often when it is baking if you want it to be super chunky.
- Store the granola in the jar when it is cooled not when warm because it gets soggy.