Soup is one of those dishes that you cook all the time but every time you make it, it tastes different. We usually try to make soup with seasonal ingredients and this is the reason it is warm and comforting during winter but fresh and light during summer.
This fennel soup with potato and zucchini is different from other soups you might have tasted before. Dukkah gives the soup a spicy and special taste.
What you need, to make dukkah fennel and pottao soup?
To make this soup I went with onion and garlic cooked in olive oil with the amazing flavor of dukkah. Then added the chopped potatoes, fennel, zucchini and water. Potatoes and fennel are the base of this amazingly flavorful soup.
Usually I pair potatoes with celery or leek but since the fennel has an earthy and licorice flavor, I tried this combination and it worked pretty well.
I made this in a pot but you can also make this in a slow cooker but be sure to sauté the veggies before adding the water and letting them cook on low heat.
Can you use other veggies or spices?
Yes you can use other veggies. You can leave zucchini out if you haven’t any and add more potatoes or fennel to the mix. I once replaced zucchini with cauliflower leftover leaves and they worked perfectly fine. You can also add celery or leek. Try experimenting with everything you have on hands.
You can also substitute dukkah. I used my homemade dukkah and trust me, when I started incorporating dukkah to my recipes, it changed my life. It is also perfect when baking beans or veggies. However if you haven’t dukkah, you can add other spices like fennel seeds, cumin seeds, ground coriander or coriander seeds etc.
This is perfect for dinner especially during spring. Fennel and zucchini are both in season and this on of the secrets of cooking great recipes. We combined our bowl of fennel soup with toasted garlic rye bread and lots of lemon juice. You can add toasted seeds or any other toppings of your choice.
If you try this recipe let us know on the comments below. Also don’t forget to follow us on our social media so you can hear it first, about the new recipes posted every week on our blog.
More soup recipes on this blog:
Tomato and Celery Minestrone Soup (vegan)
Dukkah Potato and Fennel Soup [vegan] is delicious and made with spring, seasonal ingredients. It is easy to make and it takes only 30 minutes to cook. This fennel and potato soup is the best idea for a healthy dinner.
Serves : 4
Cooking time : 30 minutes
- 2 medium sized potatoes, chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled (do not mince them, so they do not get burned when cooking with the other veggies)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp dukkah spice
- juice of half of a lemon
- salt and pepper
- In a pot over medium heat, add the olive oil. When the oil is heated add the onion, garlic, salt, pepper and dukkah spice. Let them cook for about 3-4 minutes, stirring them occasionally.
- Then add the potatoes, fennel and zucchini. Let them cook with the onion mix for another 5 minutes before adding the water.
- Cover the veggies with water and let them cook for about 20-25 minutes with lid on.
- Blend everything in a high speed blender or a handheld blender until creamy. You can add more water if you like it more like a runny consistency, like I did or leave it as is.
- Before serving add the lemon juice and enjoy it with toasted garlic bread.