It’s Christmas time y’all! And it’s never too late to decorate your tree with sweets for your loved ones. When making the dough and the shapes, just put a toothpick where you want your cookie to hang and that’s it. It’s that easy to make Christmas decorations and yummy cookies. These cookies are made with only 10 ingredients, all combined in one bowl.
This year we wanted to do something special to decorate the Christmas tree, so we decorated it with cookies, dried orange slices, and cinnamon sticks. They give you a warm feeling like you are eating cookies at your grandma’s.
These gingerbread cookies are made with lots of spices, coconut oil, brown sugar, all-purpose flour, and flex eggs. I used them to decorate my small Christmas tree but mostly we ate them while “trying” to decorate. They had a delicious smell, so I and my boyfriend hardly left some for the tree. If you try them, please send me pictures of your beautiful tree. Enjoy!
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1+1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 flax egg ( 2 tbsp flaxseed meal + 6 tbsp water)
- 1+1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- pinch of salt
- In a small bowl, prepare the flax egg by combining flaxseed meal and water. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a big bowl combine the melted coconut oil with brown sugar. Mix well until it becomes creamy. Then add the flax eggs and stir well.
- Then add all the dried ingredients in the bowl and stir so everything is combined and it forms a dough. Your dough should hold its shape when pressed, but not feel dry.
- Put your dough for 15-20 minutes in the fridge so the coconut oil will begin to make the dough more workable.
- When the dough is chilled, preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Take your dough out of the fridge and sprinkle some flour on a surface. Put the dough on the sprinkled surface. Sprinkle more flour on top of the dough. Start by rolling it out carefully to 4mm-5mm. You don’t want it too thin or they’ll be too crisp and will be hard to work on too.
- Transfer the cookies to a baking sheet. If you want to use your cookies to decorate your tree, just take a toothpick and put a hole where you want them to be hanged. Bake for 10-12 minutes until they are slightly browned on the edges. They will continue to firm as they sit on the pan to cool.
- Enjoy with a hot cup of cocoa or mulled wine !
- I used refined coconut oil but you can use whatever you like.