This recipe is one of my family’s favorites during winter time. Its so interesting because everyone in my family has a different secret ingredient for this delicious potato stew. My mother likes to add sun dried tomatoes, my father loves chili and I always add leek because I love the taste of leek and potato.
This is an Albanian traditional stew that usually is cooked with meat but to make it plant based we have tried adding it different vegetables to have that rich earthy flavor. I love making this potato stew especially in autumn that leeks are in season. They have the sweetest flavor.
This stew is so hearty and comforting. If you love the taste of bay leaves than you will also love this stew!
Why you have to make this One-Pot Leek and Potato Stew ?
- it is full of flavors
- it is a one pot stew
- it is the easiest to make
- it is perfect for meal prep
- it is vegan
- it is rich in healthy delicious spices
- it is made with simple ingredients that you already have at home
You can eat it with rye bread or as is. Since this stew has potatoes in it, I would recommend eating it as is because it is delicious and there is no need of more bread or rice.
If you try this hearty and tasty stew, let us know on the comments below. Don’t forget to follow us on our social media so you will be updated every time we post new recipes.
More recipes you might like:
This One-Pot Leek and Potato Stew [vegan] is the perfect recipe if you want to cook a healthy and a warm stew for your family. It is filled with vegetables and flavorful spices. It takes only 40 minutes and one pot to make, You have to just let it cook and enjoy!
Cooking time: 40 minutes
- 1 medium onion, finely sliced
- 1 leek, finely sliced
- 600 gr potato, peeled and cubed into bite size
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes, diced
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 4 cups of water
- salt and pepper
- Place a pot over medium heat and add the oil, onion, leek, salt and pepper. Let it cook for 5 minutes until the onion is softened.
- Add the oregano, smoked paprika and potatoes. Let them cook in spices for about 5 minutes before adding the diced tomatoes.
- Then add 1 cup of water and the bay leaves.
- Let it cook for about 30 minutes adding 1 cup of water every 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat when the stew is creamy from the soft and cooked potatoes.
- If you love parsley, you can add a handful of fresh parsley at the end. It makes such a tasty combination with the stew. I have tried it and it is amazing.