We love to eat pasta usually at dinner time. Especially during winter, a warm bowl of tasty pasta is what we crave for. Since it is pumpkin and butternut squash season we had lots on hands and we are using it in almost every recipe.
This creamy sauce is the best way to use leftover butternut squash (except pumpkin lattes) if you love comfort food just like we do. We added some cashews to it to make it extra creamy, nutritional yeast, and lemon juice. This combination always works to make plant-based creamy sauces.
And just like the cherry on top this pasta recipe has caramelized mushrooms and hazelnuts on top, which makes it even amazing.
In this Pasta with squash, caramelized mushrooms, and hazelnuts you can taste all the amazing spices and earthy vegetables.
If you try this Pasta with squash, caramelized mushrooms, and hazelnuts let us know in the comments below. Don’t forget to save our recipes on your Yummly or Pinterest account so you can make them later.
More recipes you might like:
This Pasta with Squash, Caramelized Mushrooms, and Hazelnuts is a creamy earthy pasta recipe made with butternut squash, leek and mushrooms. It is packed with spices and seriously flavorful. This squash pasta recipe is perfect on squash season.
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 4 portions of pasta
- about 2 cups chopped butternut squash
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- salt and pepper
For the mushroom and hazelnut topping mix:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6-7 medium to large button mushrooms, chopped
- 1 leek*, chopped
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- salt and pepper
- a handful of raw hazelnuts, chopped
- a handful of fresh parsley
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Once cooked, drain and leave them aside.
- Meanwhile, in another pot over medium heat, steam or boil the butternut squash. It will take about 15- 20 minutes for them to be soft.
- Place a pan over medium heat and add olive oil and chopped leek. Cook them for about 2-3 minutes until leek is soft. Then add the mushrooms and try not to stir them very often so they start to caramelize and release their moisture. Let them cook for 5 minutes.
- Add smoked paprika, dried thyme, hazelnuts, soy sauce, salt, and pepper. Cook the mix for 2-3 minutes. When done remove from the heat.
- Place the cooked butternut squash, lemon juice, cashews, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper on a high-speed blender and blend them adding 2-3 tbsp of water if you want a thinner consistency.
- Pour the squash cream over the cooked pasta. Serve them warm and add the mushroom mix on top of the pasta. Garnish it with fresh parsley.
- You can substitute leek with onion/spring onion/celery.