Persimmon is one of the best fruits we enjoy during autumn here in Albania. If you can name some seasonal fruits during October/November they would be persimmon, pomegranate and apple. I always try to use seasonal fruits and veggies to my salad so this is a typical autumn salad.
Everything in this persimmon spinach salad is healthy and delicious. Combined together they make the best salad you can have with seasonal fruits and vegetables. It is perfect if you want to share something light with your family at dinner table. This salad is great as a side dish for autumn recipes and soups.
This Persimmon Spinach Salad with Leek Dressing is made with fresh baby spinach, purple cabbage, persimmon and an earthy, citrusy dressing made from leek and lemon/lime juice. It is topped with toasted sunflower seeds, pomegranate seeds and freshly ground black pepper.
This salad is so easy to make. First massage the cabbage with a pinch of salt and let it aside. Meanwhile prepare the fruits and vegetables and place them in a big bowl. Add the purple cabbage, toasted sunflower seeds and pomegranate seeds. In the end add the leek dressing and mix everything together.
Substitutions you can make in this salad:
- you can substitute spinach with kale, lettuce or arugula (rocket)
- you can substitute lime juice with lemon or orange juice. Orange is perfect if combined with leek
- you can substitute purple cabbage with radicchio
- you can substitute sunflower seeds with other nuts and seeks of your choice
If you try other combinations of this salad please let us know on the comments below. Don’t forget to tag us on your pictures @bimorah, we would love to see your combination of flavors.
More recipes you might like:
This Persimmon Spinach Salad with Leek Dressing is made with seasonal autumn fruits and vegetables. It is perfect as a side dish with autumnal recipes or as a light healthy dinner. It is easy to make and you can add other fruits or seeds of your choice.
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1 medium persimmon, finely sliced
- 1/3 cup of finely sliced leek
- 1/2 cup of pomegranate seeds
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- juice of half a lime (or lemon)
- salt and pepper
- handful of toasted sunflower seeds
- Place the shredded cabbage in a bowl and massage it with a pinch of salt. Set it aside for 10 minutes.
- In a small container add the sliced leeks, olive oil, lime juice salt and pepper and stir the mixture.
- Wash and drain the cabbage.
- In a salad bowl add the spinach, cabbage, persimmon, pomegranate seeds, sunflower seeds and the dressing. Mix everything before serving.