Hummus is one of those things you can eat for breakfast, for lunch or for dinner and you can’t get enough of it. Since I make hummus at least once a week, I have tried lots of new recipes. My favorite hummus flavor is this roasted red pepper hummus and the golden one with turmeric and spices. You can eat hummus with everything! You can eat it with pita bread and falafel, as a dip with carrot,celery sticks or even bread sticks, you can use it as a spread in your sandwich, you can also use it on different buddha bowls.
This hummus recipe is sweet but savory and has a little kick from one secret ingredient I always add to my hummus. This secret ingredient is apple cider vinegar. I use the classic recipe of hummus, add some slowly roasted red peppers, spices and some apple cider vinegar.
Why is Hummus the best?
- It is made usually from chickpeas or beans, witch are rich in proteins and packed with nutrients.
- Hummus is always versatile. You can add spices or other vegetables as you like.
- You can use it in different ways, as a dip, as a spread, in pastas, in sandwiches or in buddha bowls.
- It is made from tahini witch is rich in calcium and iron.
- You can eat hummus during breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- Because it is rich in proteins and fibers, it will keep you full for a long time.
- It is very easy to take to work, packed in a lunch box.
- It is great for meal prep. It stays in the fridge 3 to 4 days.
What I use, to make Roasted Red Pepper Hummus?
Usually I use chickpeas (or garbanzo beans) and beans to make hummus. In this recipe I used chickpeas. It is cheaper and it makes a big difference in taste if you cook chickpeas from scratch. I let them soak overnight and bring them to boil for about 30-40 minutes. You can also use canned chickpeas if you find it easier that way, but here in my country you can easily find dried chickpeas. Canned chickpeas are very expensive.
I also use tahini. Tahini gives hummus a creamy texture and a bitter taste. Some might not like it but in my recipes tahini is one of the most used ingredient. I make my own tahini because again, it is cheaper and tastier in my country. You can use any tahini you like. I usually use light tahini.
Roasted red peppers are sweet and delicious! When red peppers are roasted, they release a sweet flavor that gives hummus a soft taste.
Roasted garlic. Traditionally hummus is made with raw garlic but I like the taste of roasted peppers and garlic in the same tray. The garlic has a pleasant smell and taste witch gives this hummus a umami taste.
Spices. I used oregano, smoked paprika and pepper. I am not a big fan of cumin taste but you can add that if you like cumin. You can also add chili powder or any spice that you like in your hummus.
The kick of this hummus is apple cider vinegar. I usually add apple cider to all of my hummus recipes. Like lemon juice, apple cider gives the dishes a tangy flavor. If you try this hummus with apple cider please let me know if you like the taste of it.
Roasted red pepper hummus is is sweet but savory and has a little kick from one secret ingredient I always add to my hummus. It is something you can eat anytime during the day and get get enough of it. It is healthy and delicious. This hummus recipe is rich in proteins and packed with nutrients.If you give it a try please let us know on our social media.
Makes 6 servings or about 2 cups
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas,drained
- 2 medium red peppers
- 3 cloves of garlic
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- In a baking tray add red peppers and garlic cloves with skin on. Drizzle olive oil and salt and place the tray in the oven for 30 minutes. Until the peppers become soft and the garlic inside it’s own skin has become like a paste consistency.
- Let the peppers chill. Then deseed the peppers and remove the skin from the garlic.
- Place all the ingredients (except water) in a blender and blend.
- Then carefully add the cold water when the blender is running and blend until smooth. If you want ir more runny add more water.
- Serve it with olive oil , smoked paprika, fresh parsley and some crispy baked chickpeas.
- You can substitute any spice or add more if you like.
- You can make this with beans instead of chickpeas.