This Spiced Cabbage Stew is a traditional Albanian stew that we grew up with. It is one of the best stews you can make meat-free here in Albania. This stew is cooked in low heat so the vegetables and spices are perfectly cooked in their own broth.
Originally this stew is made with ground beef. So to make a vegan version of it, I used a handful of dried mushrooms but you can leave it out and this stew still tastes amazing.
If you are looking for something light and hearty, this is it. Considering that this stew has not high protein ingredients, it is best combined with slices of rye bread.
Why you have to try this spiced cabbage stew?
- it is made with fresh winter ingredients
- it is hearty and delicious
- it is vegan
- it is the best comfort stew
- it is one of the best ways to eat cabbage
- it is so tasty that your whole family will love it
- it is rich in aromas and spices
- it is a one-pot stew
- it is so easy to make
To make this Spiced Cabbage Stew I used a Cannonball cabbage since it’s easier to cook than white cabbage. You can use any type of cabbage you have on your hands. My family traditionally makes this stew using white cabbage. You should keep in mind that the harder is the cabbage, the longer it will take to cook so try using a small soft type of cabbage.
Trying earthy stews is our newest addiction. We love this spiced cabbage stew for dinner as much as we love the Potato one.
More recipes you might like:
This Spiced Cabbage Stew is hearty and rich. It is easy to make and is the best winter stew.
Cooking time: 40 minutes
- 1/2 head of a medium white cabbage ( or 1 head of a small one), shredded
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 x 400 gr (14 oz) can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 4 dried bay leaves
- 1 tbsp plum syrup or date syrup
- 2 tbsp red wine or red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- a handful of dried mushrooms (optional)
- Place a pot over medium heat and add the olive oil, onions, salt, and pepper. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the onion is soft.
- Then add the carrots and cabbage and cover the pot with a lid. Let it cook on low heat for about 15 minutes until the cabbage has become soft.
- Add the oregano, thyme, bay leaves, parsley, plum syrup, and red wine. Put the lid back on and let it cook for another 2 minutes.
- Lastly, add the chopped tomatoes, vegetable stock, and dried mushrooms if using. Let the stew cook over low heat for 20 minutes.