I’ve been wanting to share this recipe for so long but I was waiting for the right moment to do so. This time of the year, here in Albania, you can find the best tomatoes, and the secret for a good tomato soup is always the tomatoes. They need to be fresh not from a can and a bit ripe so they are sweet.
This soup is my favorite one during spring/summer. My aunt introduced me a few years ago, to this amazing spring soup. She used to make it with chicken broth and after everything was boiled and blended she used to strain it in a colander to remove the tomato skins.
Tomato and Celery Minestrone Soup is made with fresh seasonal ingredients and ditalini (small pasta used in soups). I usually buy soup pasta from local vendors here in Albania and using some spinach ditalini was the best idea. They are the perfect combination with tomato soup. Sometimes the combination of simple ingredients makes the best taste of all.
How to make Tomato and Celery Minestrone Soup (vegan)?
Making this soup couldn’t be easier. You just have to chop tomatoes, onion and celery in big chunks and throw them in a pot.
Add some salt and pepper and let them boil in a low heat for about 30 minutes until the celery is soft. Do not add water or oil. The veggies will release their liquids and will boil slowly until they become tender.
After the veggies are done, using a handheld blender, blend them until smooth. Add some veggie broth and olive oil. When the soup has started boiling, add the soup pasta and let it cook for about 9-10 minutes until they are al dente.
I served it with fresh basil leaves and ground pepper.
If you try this recipe let us know on the comments below. Don’t forget to follow us on our social media, so you can be the first to get the latest recipe updated on the blog.
For more delicious soup recipes:
Tomato and Celery Minestrone Soup (vegan) is delicious and so easy to make. It is made with the combination of simple and fresh ingredients. It is healthy and it tastes incredible when combined with garlic bread.
Cooking time: 40 minutes
- 3 fresh ripe tomatoes, skin removed, chopped
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 stalk of celery, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup small soup pasta (I used spinach ditalini pasta)
- Place a pot over low heat and add the tomatoes, onion, celery, salt and pepper. Cover with a lid and let it cook for about 30 minutes string it occasionally. Let it cook until the celery is soft.
- After the vegetables have been cooked, let it cool for 5 minutes and then transfer them in a blender and blend them. You can also use a handheld blender for this step.
- Transfer the mixture again in the pot and add the vegetable broth and olive oil. Let it boil over medium heat.
- When the soup has started boiling, add the soup pasta and let it cook for about 7-8 minutes until al dente.
- Remove from the heat and serve warm with garlic bread and a drizzle of lemon juice.
- I removed the skin from tomatoes but you can leave it on if you like and later strain the soup in a colander before adding the soup pasta.
- It’s important to only use fresh tomatoes. I don’t think using tomatoes from a can will give the same result but if you try it let us know.
- Do not add water or oil in the first step. The tomatoes will release their moisture and they will cook slowly in their own liquids. Be careful to use the lid because it is very important in this step.
- You can use any soup pasta you have on hands.