This “tuna” salad sandwich is a must in my family. It is my boyfriend’s favorite sandwich. Usually, in our family, I am the one who does most of the cooking because he is busy coding all day but this is one of the recipes he loves to make for me. His “tuna” salad recipe is so good that I wanted to share it with you also.
The secret ingredient for the best “tuna” salad is a splash of tamari. It brings the umami flavor to the table.
To make this “tuna” salad sandwich is so easy. First, you have to mash the cooked chickpeas with a fork and then add all the ingredients. Meanwhile, toast 4 slices of rye bread in a toaster. When the bread is ready, scoop half of the “tuna” salad onto one slice of bread. Top it with fresh lettuce and sliced tomatoes. Place the other bread on top and enjoy.
Things you should know:
- We love to use pickled red peppers instead of pickled cucumbers but you can use whatever you like.
- We like to use our vegan mayo but you can use any mayo of your choice.
- Keep it covered in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days.
- For a more healthy version, you can substitute mayo with tahini.
More recipes you might like:
This “Tuna” Salad Sandwich is healthy and packed with flavors. It is filling and perfect for meal prep.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
For the “tuna” salad:
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup celery, diced
- 1/4 cup pickled red pepper, diced
- 2 tbsp mayo
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp drained capers, chopped
- 1 tsp tamari (or soy sauce)
- 1 tbsp of lemon juice
- salt and pepper
For the sandwich:
- 4 slices of rye bread
- Romaine lettuce
- sliced tomatoes
- First, in a big bowl or plate, mash the cooked chickpeas with a fork and then add all the ingredients. Mix well so everything is combined.
- Meanwhile, toast 4 slices of rye bread in a toaster. When the bread is ready, scoop half of the “tuna” salad onto one slice of bread. Top it with fresh lettuce and sliced tomatoes. Place the other slice of bread on top. Repeat these for the other sandwich.