Lentils are one of my favorite legumes. They are easier to cook than beans and they have a nutty flavor which I love. Cooking lentils might be a little tricky because you don’t want them to be boring. So anytime I am making lentils i try to use as much herbs and spices as I can so they have some extra flavors on them.
I came up with this recipe because every time we used to have Bean Stew at my family’s, we added a tablespoon of red wine vinegar wen the hot plate of bean stew was served and it was incredibly tasty! The vinegar made it extra delicious and every time I add vinegar to my stews, it always reminds me of home.
The best part of this Vinaigrette Lentil Stew is the lovely aroma that comes from the herbs cooking with onion in olive oil and vinegar.
This stew has all the good things you want from e delicious and hearty stew. It has lentils, vegetables, spices, greens and rich flavor. It is best served warm with fresh parsley and chopped spring onions. We used the leftovers in a tortilla wrap the other day and it was delicious combined with fresh tomatoes and green peppers.
How do you like to eat your Vinaigrette Lentil Stew ? Let us know on the comments below. Don’t forget to follow us on our social media so you will be updated every time we post new recipes.
This Vinaigrette Lentil Stew (vegan) is healthy and incredibly tasty. It has a special flavor because of the vinegar and spices. It freezes well and is also meal prep friendly. This stew has all the good things you want from e delicious and hearty stew. It has lentils, vegetables, spices, greens and rich flavor. It is perfect for a rainy day!
Cooking time: 40 minutes
- 1+1/2 cup dried green lentils, soaked (or not but they will need extra 10 minutes to cook)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 celery stalk, diced
- 1 big carrot, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 1/2 cup diced tomato
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups of water
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- In a pot over medium heat, add the olive oil. When the olive oil is heated, add the onion, garlic, celery and salt and let them cook for about 5 minutes until soft.
- Then add the spices and 1 tbsp of red wine vinegar. Let it cook for 2 minutes with the onion, celery and garlic before adding the lentils and carrot. Let the lentils cook in vegetable and spices for another 5 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, tomato puree and water and let it cook for about 30 minutes, until the lentils are soft and cooked completely.
- In the last 5 minutes add the chopped kale and the remaining vinegar (2 tbsp) in the stew.
- Enjoy it with diced spring onions on top and fresh parsley!
- You can use other type of vinegar of your choice.
- If you don’t have all the spices don’t worry add others you have on hands, and let us know what worked for you.
- If you want the stew more thick, remove 1 cup of water and if you want it more like a soupy consistency, add more water.