I know this is far from the real Bolognese sauce but it is delicious and tastes so good because of the walnuts and red wine. Growing up my mother used to make Bolognese pasta every week for us. Now that I am vegan, I have tried lots of vegan Bolognese sauces but since my father is not a big fan of lentils I tried making it with walnuts, and so far walnut Bolognese is my favorite.
Before I came up with this recipe I made a lot of research about the herbs and spices Italians use when making Bolognese sauce, and I was surprised to notice that they do not use much. Instead they focus on the way of cooking the main ingredients so that is what I did.
I cooked the diced onion, celery and carrot over a low heat for about 10-15 minutes. Then I added rosemary, oregano, chili flakes, salt and pepper. After the onion mix was soft and infused in pleasant flavor from the herbs, I added the ground walnuts and sun dried tomato slices and let it cook for about 5 minutes before adding the red wine and 1 tin whole tomatoes. It took me about 30 minutes to make this delicious pasta sauce. I topped my pasta with some nutritional yeast for a cheesy flavor and fresh parsley.
This Bolognese sauce is :
- Rich in Omega-3s and proteins
- Great for pasta, rice or bruschetta
- Made with simple ingredients
If you try this recipe, let us know! Post your delicious pictures and don’t forget to tag a photo #bimorah on Instagram.
Walnut Bolognese Sauce Pasta is flavorful and rich in proteins and fibers. It is made with onion, celery, carrot, rosemary, oregano, tomato, walnuts and red wine. Is one of the simplest vegan recipes for Bolognese sauce since it is more focused on the way you have to cook it.
- 1 medium onion , diced
- 2 stalk of celery, diced
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1/2 cup of ground walnuts
- 4-5 slices of sun dried tomato, chopped
- 1/2 tsp of chili flakes
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 1 (15-ounce or 400 gr) can of whole tomato
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or any sweetener
- salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Cook pasta according to the package instructions.
- Grind the walnuts in a food processor. Let it aside.
- Place a pot over low heat and add olive oil, onion, celery and carrots to cook for about 10-15 minutes until the veggies are soft.
- Then add the chili flakes, oregano, rosemary, salt and pepper. Give everything a stir so the onion mix is evenly combined with herbs.
- Add the walnuts and sun dried tomato and let them cook with the onion mix for about 3 minutes before adding the red wine.
- Then add the can of whole tomato and maple syrup and give it a stir. Let it cook for another 10 minutes.
- Enjoy it on pasta with nutritional yeast, basil leaves or fresh parsley.